Sweet and salty with a satisfying snap, this Toffee Chocolate Pretzel Yelp is an easy recipe that’s perfect for snacking or gifting. If you’re looking for DIY gifts for neighbors, teachers, or friends, this chocolate pretzel yelp is a definite win!
Homemade pretzel yelp is the kind of recipe we love virtually the holidays. When our dreams of an overflowing box of cookies for all our friends dies in the hustle of the season, pretzel yelp swoops in to save the day.
This recipe doesn’t ask for much. Just four ingredients, 5 minutes of prep, 5 minutes to bake, and a few hours to nippy out on the counter while you wrap presents (or nap!).
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Pretzel Bark
Easy to make – This pretzel yelp recipe can be made in 15 minutes with just 5 simple ingredients, doesn’t require a snacks thermometer or the double triviality method, and it can be enjoyed in under an hour. What else could you want?
Gift/shareable – A batch of these pretzel toffee yelp pieces can be split many times for serving at multiple parties, tossed into a trencher for movie night, or wrapped up in decorative tins or paper souvenir tons for gifting.
Perfect savor philharmonic – If you’ve seen our recipe for chocolate covered pretzels, then you know that we love the philharmonic of crunchy salty pretzels and melted chocolate.
But this pretzel yelp recipe does one largest by subtracting the flavors of deliciously salted caramel to the mix. That toffee layer has a rich maple-buttery savor and the nicest SNAP!
Key Ingredients for Salted Chocolate Pretzel Bark
- Pretzels – this salty treat serves as the foundation for this toffee bark, so we recommend mini pretzel twists rather than pretzel sticks or rods. The curves and intersections requite the toffee and chocolate increasingly to grab onto. You could moreover use salted square waffle snaps pretzels.
- Chocolate fries – We love a good rich visionless chocolate bark, so we use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but if you prefer milk chocolate (or white chocolate even), finger self-ruling to use those. (We find that Costco has good quality chocolate fries that are pearly trade.)
- Butter & Brown sugar – Adds that signature homemade caramel flavor. Nothing is largest this time of year than velvety caramel. Mmm!
- Sea salt – Just a sprinkle of flaky sea salt adds and platonic hint of salty sharpness that compliments the caramel, and contrasts with the sweetness of the melted chocolate. If you’ve seen our Buckeye Brownies or our Giant Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies, you know that we can’t resist a dusting of salt flakes on our sweet treats.
How to Make Chocolate Pretzel Bark
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a rimmed sultry sheet with foil (or parchment paper) and neutral oil cooking spray (we use coconut oil).
- Break the pretzels up into large pieces and spread them out on the sultry sheet.
- Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring together in a sauce pan. Once bubbling, lower to medium-low heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour the melted sugar over the pretzels on the sultry sheet, and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove sultry sheet to a cooling rack and pour chocolate fries evenly over the top. Wait 5 minutes for chocolate to melt, then use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly over pretzels. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let toffee cool to room temperature, then unravel into small pieces and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in an snapped container so the pretzels don’t get stale.
Pretzel Toffee Yelp Tips and FAQs
This recipe isn’t difficult, but it is precise. We really do need to let the brown sugar mixture simmer for 3 minutes WITHOUT stirring it.
Set a timer, and be ready to pour the sugar mixture over the pretzels right when it goes off. (When I took pictures of the recipe, there was several minutes unravel between pouring the sugar mixture and putting it in the oven, and I found it did not set up properly that way.)
Timing is hair-trigger here! So, prep your ingredients, and be ready to hang out by the oven for the 5-10 minutes it takes to get this in to bake.
Armed with this unconfined recipe (and with minimal effort), you’ll be enjoying this tasty treat (and picking toffee shit out of your teeth) in no time.
This holiday season, put this sweet and salty snack on your list of favorite things!
Can’t get unbearable sweet and salty treats?
- 12 oz. mini pretzels
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 11 x 17 inch rimmed sultry sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a neutral cooking spray, like coconut oil.
- Break the pretzels up into a few pieces, then spread them evenly over the prepared sultry sheet.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat, stirring often. Bring the mixture to a soapy simmer then lower the heat to medium low and protract to simmer without stirring for 3 minutes.
- Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the pretzels. Place in the oven and torch for 5 minutes.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and immediately pour chocolate fries evenly over the top. Wait well-nigh 5 minutes then use a spatula or pocketknife to spread chocolate evenly over the pretzel mixture. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, if desired.
- Let the toffee tomfool completely (this takes a few hours), then unravel into pieces and eat! (You can speed up the process by placing pan in the fridge or freezer.)
Let the brown sugar mixture simmer for 3 minutes and do not stir it.
Pour the sugar mixture over the pretzels immediately after.
Use large flakes of sea salt (not table salt)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other unite programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Ideas for Holiday Gifting
Tie a ribbon virtually a snifter of our Homemade Vanilla Simple Syrup or Lavender Simple Syrup for a souvenir that’s perfect for the coffee/tea lover in your life, or mix them up a jar of Chai Tea Concentrate.
These Double Chocolate Sea Salt Truffles make for a treat that’s fit to share, or if chocolate is not your thing, these holiday Canestrelli cookies stack nicely and can plane be made into snowflake ornaments.